Tuesday, March 13, 2007

When Two Worlds Collide

My baptism (by fire) of the roomate into the Great Northern obsession of NHL 07 has not been without it's quirks. At the mo' our home-team is named after the Taiwanese colloquial for "balls", and i'm not talking about the basketball or soccer variety; i'm talking about nethers.

I can sort of understand that since the man doesn't have the inbred Canadian devotion (fanatical!) to hockey heroes (I heart Gordie! Gretzky! Yzerman! Orr! Smytty!) he might not be totally captivated by the game, especially since they're all random names skating in front of him; so with that in mind, it was only logical that he would want to create a team composed with the familiar faces of our friends and co-workers. That's cool, I feel the same way when I play rpgs, usually renaming most of the main characters and pissing off those hardcore fans. It's the liberties, however, of his fanciful fairy-ish nature that has me concerned. While i'm mostly okay with us creating Piotr Colossus, a 7'0", 250-pound, granite-jawed defenceman (Mandy would approve); I don't really see why we need to add Taiwanese model/actor/rapper/douchebag extraordinaire, Jay Chou to our stable of forwards.

Although they're a ridiculously fun team to play in the way that it's embarassingly hilarious watching your hand-created friends interact in The Sims; I live in constant fear that I will arrive home from work one day, fire up the xbox and discover that Jamie Foxx is my line-mate.

No comments: