Thursday, March 29, 2007

Vagrancy Day 5: I'm A Sketch-Crazy Big Flaky Pansy Downtown Girl

The day started off with a nasty oversleep and generally crabbiness
but unwound into something resembling the word "awesome".

When I finally made it out of my house (and my head). I got to stalking haphazardly around downtown, sketchbook in hand like a cocked arrow.

Stopped in a plaza to sketch.

Stopped in a cathedral to sketch.

Stopped in the crazy neverland bookstore, no room to sketch.

Stopped in a mall to sketch.

Stopped at a busy intersection to sketch.

I've actually learned some stuff from sketching all over the place, and that's: when you've been sitting cross legged on concrete for long stretches sketching and you get up, make sure you're close enough to some kind of railing or seating for when your legs collapse from the pins and needles. Generally, it'll take a long time for your legs to go back to normal, more specifically expect your limbs to be useless and unbearable for 1/3 of the time that you were seated. I once had to crawl with my hands across an entire Banff parking lot in order to find somewhere to hide from the gawping public and punch the feeling back into my leg with impunity. I love drawing.

Also met up with Alex and Lawrence who kindly offered teach me (read: kick my ass) in squash.

Being that the only thing i've done in the past ten months even resembling a sport is Xbox Hockey, I played the only way I knew how: Drive to the net hard and take the body. Subsequently, I'm missing a ton of skin on my right arm, I have a massive welt on my knee and I had one particularly nasty but intimate encouter with the wall of the court. Now I know exactly how Koivu feels everytime he gets piledriven into the boards. It's gonna be really hard to get up/brush teeth/walk tomorrow. Fortunately my head, neck and shoulder blade took the brunt of the damage. My drawing hand is relatively swell except for a small burn. Yay!

My arm:


I really like friction burns. I got in the shower tonight and I started screaming.

Anyways i'm absolutely looking towards playing some more, just probably not in the next few days.

Also I got a call from an ex-coworker in which I was called a "Big Flaky Girl". Thanks Paula.

Man, especially after the Herzog exhibit I totally forgot how much I love downtown, especially it's seedy 'tween side sandwiched between the all out squalor of Hastings/Chinatown and the super-impersonal financial district. Now, to figure out how i'm going to go and be sacrilegous in the cathedral on a more regular basis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOUR SHIRT!

Where did you get it? Can I have one too?