Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Broken Pencils



Haven't really felt like i've done enough drawing in the last few days ever. Joey's been kind enough to point out to me that I pretty much spend all my time drawing and that I draw much more than an average person (read: healthy, functional person), but I never really feel that way.

It's hard to see any kind of progress with this stuff. Objectivity is kind of at a premium here, I remember liking a few pictures as I was drawing them but I can't look through my portfolios and galleries without a complete feeling of disgust and embarassment. This makes it a little difficult to go and dissect past works(not to mention the practical crutch created by never ever promoting my portfolio to anyone. Still, I think there's been a general improvement over the past maybe even half a year on my figure drawing and their fluidity, which is something that I know i've been smashing my head on repeatedly. There's a ways to go: my heads and bodies still feel really disconnected, the joints are still kind of lackadaisacal and I definitely need to get leg shapes down; but these are some recent sketches from my head:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a critical outsider, I most certainly have seen an improvement in your figures over the past like, two years.

These examples I really like - at first I thought they were from reference until I actually, you know, READ your post and saw they were straight from your brain. (Although I want to put a word bubble over the guy at the center bottom that says "MY GROIN!")

Dcfung said...

He's got a flexible mangina.