Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday

Ah! Domestics. I sometimes wonder if we clean because we actually like cleanliness or we just do it to feel morally superior to the guys we know. Either way, it feels nice.

My body feels pretty beat up today; we went and played tennis with Chung for three hours yesterday and that on top of some of the other things has me grimacing at the slightest of body contortions. Those other things? Well, the new job has been going pretty well and then in the second week I was offered a chance to train as a compositor, which is a much wider field, and I jumped at it. The first few days were pretty wide-eyed and insane, but i'm getting a handle on it and things can only get better. The biggest adjustment has actually been the side-effect of working for a different crew, which is that i'm now working dayshift and getting up at around 5:30AM every day. Contrary to my expectations, the change hasn't been awful and the hardest part is probably just getting to bed early enough to get a decent amount of sleep (ie. hopefully before 10). What I was surprised by is how much more oomph now that i'm not some kind of nocturnal rodent fellow. I feel pretty much restless any time I hit offhours and i'm always aching to get outside and do something before I have to shutdown for the early, early night. Consequently i've been playing ping pong, badminton, skateboarding, doing exercises in the morning, and doing every chore imaginable. It's been pretty packed so i'm quite pleased that today's soreness has been the only indication of my body's mutiny and inevitable breakdown.

Getting back to the job, it's weird to feel so concentrated on something when I've been putting out at various temp, kitchen and construction jobs for such a long time. I worked really hard at all those jobs but it feels like i'm hitting so much harder at this one. I'm almost fanatical in wanting to learn the software and the nuances of the project and haven't been this motivated for anything in a good long while. A huge part of it, is that I really like what i'm doing. It's like finally taking a bite out of the carrot that's been dangling in front of that massive treadmill of entry-level work i've been running. But also I think there's an added edge from the acknowledgement of age. Looking around at some of the kids in the building: fresh faced art and animation school grads, I have this sense that I feel just a bit more desperate. There's a bit of a lunatic glint in my eyes. When you idle in neutral for such a long time, you're ready to go. And me, i'm ready to kick some serious ass.

1 comment:

Laura Jane Hamilton said...

There's something about compositing. Despite the complete lack of anything resembling proper drawing, it is hella fun.